There I went, leaving only my footprints.
Returning, I brought back nothing but
the dust that clings to the sole of a wanderer.
– Harryette Mullen. from Urban Tumbleweed
Ariel Resnikoff. MEMBRANECHANT from Lick and Spit
– Kamau Brathwaite. excerpt from The Rwanda Poems
– Akka Mahadevi. Kaamisi Kalpisi ಕಾಮಿಸಿ ಕಲ್ಪಿಸಿ
The day Adam’s soul was to enter his body
It was ordered “Enter!” but it refused
Heavenly beings with the lilting voice of David
Sang to him, “Enter”, and it entered
– Amir Khusrau. آن روز که روح آدم آمد به بدن
translated by Musab Bin Noor
… enter this body
– Lu You. Sitting at Night, Drinking a Little
translated by Burton Watson
Deep calls to deep
at the thunder of your cataracts;
all your waves and your billows
have gone over me.
– Psalm 42:7
New Revised Standard Version